Christ Church is committed to nurturing families with Christian Education. We believe the command of Jesus Christ according to Matthew 19:14: Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them, for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
Family First Sunday!
Family First Sunday returns on September 8, 2019. Mark your calendars!
Life is busy, and the demands on the family calendar can often seem overwhelming. What if it didn't have to be? What if, once a month, you could choose to put your family's worship time first? Then the rest of the month, you came and worshiped as time permitted, providing balance and true connection without the guilt. It might just make you say...
Family First Sunday is the ALLELUIA you are looking for! Family First Sunday is offered on the first Sunday of every month and is designed for children from Junior Kindergarten (age 4) through Fifth Grade. This special program is designed to nurture faith and build connection, to both their faith and the parish community.
Our program begins at 9:30 a.m. on the main campus. We gather near the flagpole, where we will start off with a discussion relating to the day's scripture, some songs, and even some games.
After this joyful beginning, children will head into the CCDS Science Lab for an art activity. After art, we break into two groups. The younger group will hear the Bible story told to them utilizing the Godly Play curriculum, y.
The older group will start head to the picnic tables in the Christ Church Day School garden to read the Bible lesson for the day.
The two groups will come back together for our final few minutes where we will have time for group prayers and a message to carry children into the next week. The children will return to church at 10:30 a.m. to join their families for the Eucharist.
Any given sunday!
The rest of the month, families are invited to worship together in church. This experience can sometimes seem daunting for families, as they worry about wiggles and giggles, and heaven forbid, tears in the church. At Christ Church, we believe worshipping together in a truly intergenerational service, enhances the experience for all of us. Please know that it is okay to wiggle in the pew, a few giggles definitely delight God and probably your neighbor, and that many of us have even shed a tear during a particularly moving place in the service.
To provide deeper comfort and connection during the Sunday service, you are invited to:
- Select an Invitation from the basket in the back of the church. These envelopes are full of treasures, and the contents will vary weekly.
- Sit toward the front where it is easier to see, hear, and feel like you are part of the service.
- Quietly explain the parts of the service. Point out the priest, the acolytes and the choir.
- Sing, pray, and listen. Children learn how to be in church by watching you!
- If you have to leave the service with your child, please feel free to do so, but please come back.
- Remember that the way we welcome children in church directly affects the way they respond to the church, to God, and to one another. Let them know that they are at home in God’s house!